Friday, November 26, 2010

In Praise of Meal Replacements

My husband and I began the first leg of our vacation today, traveling from Cleveland to West Palm Beach, Florida. In the process, I was reminded how grateful I am for meal replacements--especially when traveling.

Instead of having to choose between bagels and donuts for breakfast at the airport, I enjoyed a nice protein bar with my coffee this morning. Then, when hunger set in around 10:30 a.m. I poured 8 oz of water into my Blender Bottle, added the contents of a protein shake, and shook my way to a satisfying snack that held me over until 1p.m. Later, when our flight was delayed and we had to wrangle with the car rental facility about a price adjustment, putting us into our final destination much later than planned, another protein bar saved the day.

You see, in any one of those situations, had I not been prepared by having the right snacks on hand, the combination of hunger, fatigue and frustration might have led me right into the arms of Ronald McDonald. But, because I know the incredible importance of having quick, healthy options on hand when traveling, today's events barely required a second thought. There's some real truth in the statement that if you "fail to plan, you plan to fail." Thankfully, my mindful planning paid off today.

We'll see how well I can apply these lessons over the next week as I prepare to board the ship we'll be cruising on tomorrow. I look forward to sharing more with you all when I return in seven days time.

In the meanwhile, safe travels as you navigate this tangled path to maintenance. It is, as they say, "a jungle out there."

2 comments:

  1. I just popped over from Refuse to Regain and I'm really looking forward to hearing from all of you. Maintenence doesn't remotely get the attention that weight loss does, but it's even more important. I'm glad to see it has another new home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just subscribed to your "feed" and looking forward to a new blog. Thanks, this is just topic I wanted to find this Thanksgiving Weekend!

    ReplyDelete