Monday, December 13, 2010

December 13, 2010: The Day that Should Go Down in History

Today marks a momentous event in my life. I ran for 20 whole, straight minutes. Without stopping. Not even once. Why is this a moment for the history books, you ask? Because at nearly 35 years old I have never even been able to run a mile in my life without stopping. Today I ran almost two.

I was the kid that couldn't pass the Presidential Fitness Test to save her life. I don't even think I ever made it around a full lap of the track in junior high or high school without having to stop for air at least once. And I certainly never made it around enough times to add up to a mile. Not unless I gave up on running and power-walked my way through the challenge.

I ran for 20 straight minutes today, and I could have run longer. I didn't, because I didn't want to overdo it, but I could have. When I stepped on the treadmill tonight with the intent of running for 20 minutes I knew I could do it. I didn't ever have a doubt. And do it I did.

THIS is why I work so hard to maintain my weight loss. THIS is why I say "no thank you" when offered free pizza at work as a thanks for making it in one of the coldest, snowiest days of the year. THIS is what I means to be fit. To feel strong. To use my body the way it was intended. THIS makes it all worth it and more.

Yes, today is a day for the history books. May it be just the first of many in a long line of days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment